Candidates required to file a post-general election campaign finance report must do so by December 11. You can find the reporting forms on the Secretary of State’s website.
Due to the presidential election and changes to election dates passed in HB 64, the only spring election date available to school districts is March 15, 2016. The deadlines for submitting a resolution of necessity to the county auditor (for a property tax) or state tax commissioner (for an income tax) to initiate the process of placing a property or income tax on the ballot in Spring 2016 are fast approaching.
Here are some key dates:
- December 1 (105 days prior to the election):
- Last day to submit certification for March conversion levy to tax commissioner
- December 7 (100 days prior to the election*):
- Last day to submit certification for March income tax levy to Ohio Department of Taxation
- December 11 (95 days prior to the election):
- last day to submit March emergency or current operating expenses or conversion levy to county auditor for March election
- December 16 (90 days prior to the election):
- Last day for school district to file resolution of necessity, resolution to proceed and auditor’s certification for bond levy with board of elections for March election
- Last day for county auditor to certify school district bond levy terms for March election
- Last day to submit continuing replacement, permanent improvement or operating levy for March election to board of elections
- Last day to certify resolution for school district income tax levy, conversion levy or renewal of conversion levy for March election to board of elections
- Last day to submit emergency levy for March election to board of elections
- Last day to submit phased-in levy or current operating expenses levy for March election to board of elections
Please consult with your district’s legal bond counsel to guarantee accuracy and compliance with all deadlines and filing dates and to coordinate the submission of the proper resolutions and requests to your county auditor and tax commissioner.
*Note: the statutory deadline falls on a day when a governmental office, such as the board of elections, is closed. In those instances, the deadlines are extended, pursuant to R.C. 1.14, to the next succeeding day when the appropriate office is open for regular business hours. The date listed above reflects the extended deadline.