Welcome to school board service!
Welcome to this new adventure of serving on a board of education or ESC governing board. The Ohio School Boards Association (OSBA) is your guide in this journey, offering services and resources to support you in your role and help you make a positive impact the success of the students in your district.
Plan your path to success
This tour of workshops reviews topics essential for new board members. We’ve also included stops at regional and statewide event so you can network and learn from colleagues in other school districts.
- Board Member 101 session: A one-day version of this workshop will be held July 13. Register
- State Legislative Conference: Review education legislation and meet with your legislators to share how current legislation will impact your district. Held April 23. Register
- Regional connections: OSBA is divided into five regions: Central, Northeast, Northwest, Southeast and Southwest. Attending a regional open house or conference builds your network of solutions and resources. Visit www.ohioschoolboards.org/regions to learn about your region and view event details.
- Board Leadership Institute: Take your leadership to the next level at the OSBA Board Leadership Institute. This two-day institute - May 3-4, 2024 - includes multiple breakout sessions, keynote presentations and opportunities to network with colleagues throughout the event. Register
- School Finance 101: Navigating school finance can be complicated, but as board members, understanding the fundamentals is crucial. Experts share insights into state and local funding and five-year forecasts. Learn how to access your district's financial data and ask the right questions to empower you as you shape your district's financial future. Held May 16. Register
- Apply for a regional committee: Serving on a regional OSBA committee is a great way to get to know your fellow board members, network and collaborate while supporting your association. Applications for regional committees are open May 1-June 30; visit www.ohioschoolboards.org/call-committee-nominations to learn more.
- OSBA Capital Conference: The annual OSBA Capital Conference and Trade Show offers exceptional opportunities for learning, sharing and networking. This three-day event offers General Sessions, more than 150 learning sessions and something for every member of your district’s administrative team. (Nov. 10-12, 2024)
Learn about opportunities to advocate for education for all students across Ohio, the board's role in advancing student achievement within your district and become involved with OSBA at the state and regional level.
We can help you
OSBA publications keep you informed on education issues. Subscribe to OSBA emails and follow OSBA on social media.
Brochures, articles and FAQs to help you become an effective board member.