The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) has the responsibility for overseeing the training and licensing of all commercial vehicle operators, including school bus drivers. This page in OSBA's transportation services website is provided for the benefit of Ohio public schools to provide guidance in complying with FMCSA's programs.
Compliance Date for Entry-Level Driver Training February 7, 2022
The Training Provider Registry will help commercial diver's (CDL) applicants connect with training providers who are self-certified to provide required entry-level driver training. Sign up to receive news and updates directly from FMCSA about the Training Provider Registry and the new requirements for CDL applicants or drivers adding the passenger and school bus endorsements.
To Register as a Training Provider - TPR webpage
Video to assist in becoming a training provider - How to register video
ELDT Curriculum Summary for Class B, and endorsements P, S
Submitting ELDT records - PowerPoint PDF
Drug and Alcohol Clearinghouse
Beginning on Jan. 6, 2020, all employers of CDL drivers (including school bus drivers) will have to be registered with the FMCSA drug and alcohol clearinghouse, and will have to check on each driver candidate prior to employment, as well as complete annual checks on each driver. This new process supplements the existing requirement to perform previous employer checks going back two years for each new driver hired.
A number of materials are provided here to help lead you through the process of registering with the Clearinghouse, as well as providing a source for you to find reference information.
- Introduction to the clearinghouse from the FMCSA Ohio Division Administrator: Introduction
- Narrated powerpoint to guide you through the registration process :clearinghouse powerpoint
- Clearinghouse printed instructions
- Various clearinghouse web links
- Summary of employer requirements
- Narrated powerpoint to guide you through the purchase of queries: query powerpoint
- Reporting to the Clearinghouse: § 382.705 Reporting to the Clearinghouse
- Actual Knowledge must be reported: § 382.107 Actual knowledge – What is actual knowledge?
- What is an Alcohol refusal to test: § 40.261 What is a refusal to take an alcohol test?
- What is a Drug refusal to test: § 40.191 What is a refusal to take a DOT drug test?
- Questions for drivers registering in the clearinghouse: Do drivers need to register?
DOT Office of Drug and Alcohol Policy and Compliance:
- What you need to know about products containing cannabis derived compounds including CBD.
- What you need to know about marijuana legalization
How to report a violation
Learn more about the Return to Duty (RTD) process
The Substance Abuse Professional (SAP) list is not a forum of the Clearinghouse. It is the employer's responsibility to provide the list of SAPs for a driver with a testing violation to begin the return-to-duty process. Here is one third-party site. SAPLIST.COM