The Ohio Council of School Board Attorneys (OCSBA) was established in 1976 as an affiliate of the Ohio School Boards Association. The council provides a statewide forum on the practical legal problems faced by school attorneys, promotes a closer relationship between school attorneys and their client school board members and works to improve legal services available to boards of education through the collection and dissemination of school law information.
Membership in OCSBA
Membership in OCSBA is limited to attorneys who currently represent or have represented one or more Ohio boards of education. Attorneys who are school board members themselves are also eligible for membership.
Benefits of Membership
Membership provides school attorneys with an opportunity to stay current in school law with access to the following:
- Seminars and Workshops
- Designed for the school law practitioner, the OCSBA Spring Seminar consists of presentations by experienced attorneys and other experts in the field. It is an extensive program conducted in an informal setting to encourage participation by all attendees. OSBA seeks CLE accreditation for several sessions held during the Ohio School Boards Association’s Capital Conference in November and hosts several additional workshops and webinars throughout the year. Attorneys must be members of OCSBA in order to attend these workshops or webinars.
- School Law Summary (SLS) is a comprehensive summary of cases relevant to the practice of school law, including unreported arbitration decisions. The SLS is delivered in an electronic format directly to your inbox. OCSBA members will be subscribed to OSBA publications including the Briefcase (semimonthly school news publication), Journal (award-winning magazine) and Facts in a Flash (weekly legislative update that is emailed when the state legislature is in session).
- Networking opportunities
- Searchable OCSBA Directory allows individuals may search for an OCSBA member by name, firm or city.
- Listserv allows OCSBA members to take advantage of an exclusive listserv for discussions and sharing of ideas on legal matters affecting education in Ohio.
- Consultation. Council membership offers an opportunity for consultation with OSBA's attorneys.
To become a member of the Ohio Council of School Board Attorneys, please complete a membership form and return it to OCSBA with your payment.
If you would like additional information about the Ohio Council of School Board Attorneys, contact Lenore Winfrey at (614) 540-4000.