Duties of the Board of Trustees
The OSBA Board of Trustees has general charge of the affairs, funds and property of the association. It has full power to carry out the purposes of the association according to the OSBA Constitution.
As specified in the OSBA Constitution, the Board of Trustees:
- employs the association’s executive officer;
- adopts an annual association budget;
- designates a depository for OSBA funds, and may authorize the secretary-treasurer to invest non-operating funds;
- authorizes disbursement of funds by the secretary-treasurer or designated officer;
- designates a certified public accountant to conduct an annual audit;
- determines the boundaries of the five regional associations within OSBA;
- may call special meetings of the OSBA membership, with sixty (60) days notice to all member boards of education; and
- has the authority to appoint the president-elect to fill an unexpired term, upon recommendation of the Nominating Committee, if the office is vacated.
The Board of Trustees may delegate selected issues and responsibilities to the Executive Committee.
Trustees include the president, president-elect and immediate past president of the association; the presidents, presidents-elect and immediate past presidents of the five regional associations; and one representative from each of the six Ohio districts with the largest pupil enrollment, together with no less than six (6) nor more than eight (8) other persons. Each region is entitled to a minimum of four (4) seats on the Board of Trustees, inclusive of the region officers and one at-large appointment and exclusive of the six (6) districts with the largest pupil enrollment. OSBA’s executive director and regional managers serve on the board in an ex officio capacity.
In the event of a vacancy on the Board of Trustees, replacement will be made for the unexpired term by the regional association or board of education that first elected or appointed the vacating member.
Term of Office
Members to the Board of Trustees, unless otherwise provided in the OSBA Constitution, are elected or appointed for a term of two (2) years by the five (5) regional associations. The Trustees representing the six (6) districts with the largest pupil enrollment are appointed to one-year terms. The number of Trustees that each region is entitled to elect or appoint is in proportion to the number of member school boards in that region. The number is set annually by the Executive Committee.
The Board of Trustees meets three times a year. Additional meetings may be called at the discretion of the president or upon the written request of five (5) members of the Board of Trustees. Thirteen (13) regular members of the Board of Trustees constitute a quorum.
At its meetings, the Board of Trustees receives various reports regarding programs, education issues and association operations.
Board Member Agreement
The Board Member Agreement form is a description of the expectations of a member of the Board of Trustees and should be understood by individuals coming on the board. All trustees beginning a new term on the board shall sign the agreement.