Say “Thanks!” to the Boss
Does your boss show a constructive interest in your school board work? Are you allowed to keep a flexible schedule to balance work with school board duties? Does your employer deserve special recognition for encouraging you in your school board work?
Now you can say “thanks” to the boss who backs you as a school board member. Upon the recommendation of any Ohio school board member who is regularly employed (salaried or hourly), OSBA Executive Director Richard Lewis will send a letter of commendation to the board member’s employer, along with a certificate suitable for framing.
The purpose of the “Thank-A-Boss” Commendation Program is to recognize those organizations that make a special point of encouraging and supporting employees who serve on school boards. The award will also:
• Acknowledge that there is a school board member on staff;
• Acknowledge that the employer views school board service as an essential and demanding community activity;
• Recognize that serving on a school board takes time and requires understanding of the employer;
• Reinforce the employer’s commitment to support school board members;
• Encourage other employers to see that commitment and adopt a similar posture;
• Encourage all employers and employees to view school board service as an attractive avocation.
If you are employed by a business or institution that supports your school board work, and if you would like OSBA to send your boss a letter and certificate of commendation, complete the Thank-A-Boss Request Form and mail it to the Ohio School Boards Association.