Here is the latest issue of OSBA's Weekly Legislative Update...
This week, the House Rules and Reference Committee continued hearings on House Bill (HB) 597, legislation that would eliminate and prohibit Ohio’s use of the Common Core State Standards. The bill is sponsored by Reps. Andy Thompson (R-Marietta) and Matt Huffman (R-Lima).
The week of testimony brought forth more 120 witnesses who shared their support for the Common Core standards. Many teachers, administrators and board members showed enthusiastic support for the standards and shared many stories of how they will make a difference for students across the state.
OSBA would like to thank the following board members who either testified before the committee or submitted their written support:
· Denise Baba, Streetsboro City
· Dr. Walter Edinger, Perrysburg EV
· Eric Germann, Lincolnview Local (Van Wert) and Vantage Career Center
· Terry Groden, North Olmsted City
· Robert M. Heard Sr., Cleveland Municipal
· Chris Long, Milton-Union EV
· Ruth Nau, Noble Local (Noble)
· Marc Schare, Worthington City
· Patrick Schymanski, Elida Local (Allen)
· Warren Stevens, Urbana City and Ohio Hi-Point Career Center
The committee is expected to hold another hearing on Thursday, Sept. 4. OSBA staff will continue to provide updates on this legislation and the hearings through eAlerts and Facts in a Flash.
Please consider contacting state representatives and state senators to share your support for the common core and the difference it is making in your district.
Have questions about Facts in a Flash?
Please contact Jay Smith at email@example.com or call